What is flocculant and how do you use it?
To avoid murky water in your pool, the water is filtered. However, such a filter only works for dirt particles of a certain size. Smaller particles, also called colloids, therefore quickly slip through the filter and can only be captured by adding a flocculant to your pool water.
When you add flocculant just before the filter, flakes are created that will begin to coat the smaller dirt particles. By collecting all these colloids, they are converted into larger dirt particles that can be processed back through the filter on their own.
Before getting started with flocculant make sure your PH levels and chlorine levels are on point. It is also important to check which flocculant you can best use in combination with your current pool filter.
From once this is done you can start adding flocculant, here you can choose from 2 different types.
This is flocculant in liquid form that you always add directly to the water.
- Check the package for the correct dosage/ratio and add the required flocculant to a bucket of water and spread it evenly over your pool.
- Run your pump for about 30 minutes to 4 hours, depending on the size of your pool (set-up or fixed pool) to allow the product to circulate properly.
- Turn off the filter for about 30 minutes for a top-up pool and a full night for a fixed pool. This will allow all flocculated debris to collect at the bottom of your pool.
- Now vacuum up the accumulated debris that has formed on the bottom with your pool vacuum cleaner.
Solid flocculant always comes in the form of tablets or sachets that are added to the skimmer basket, this can possibly be done weekly depending on the season and/or weather conditions.
- Turn off pool filtration
- Check the package to see how many tablets you need in proportion to the volume of your pool and place them in the skimmer basket
- Allow the flocculant to dissolve for about 12 hours when not swimming, possibly overnight.
- Remove any debris that may have collected at the bottom of your pool with a pool vacuum cleaner, then turn your filtration system back on.